Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Stitch-and-Glue’

After a few weeks without much progress, work has resumed on the Coho. The deck has been sanded smooth. The boat looks strangely naked with the deck sanded out, which I suppose it should given that the hatches haven’t been cut out, the coaming hasn’t been installed and there are no deck lines on it.

The deck was flipped over to work in its underside. Reinforcement pieces have been epoxied in just in front of the cockpit, and Joseph also added some more epoxy to the seams around the triangular piece behind the cockpit.

Read Full Post »

Joseph has almost all of the staples removed, and has added thickened epoxy to the seams and staple holes. There are only a few staples left, and it should only take one or two more applications of thickened epoxy to be able to begin sanding down the deck.

Read Full Post »

Joseph and I glued the deck of his kayak together over the weekend. He had beveled the deck pieces as needed and wired them in place over the weekend. Before gluing, we taped the deck to the hull to make sure they will match up well when the deck is fully glued. We used syringes to get the epoxy into the seams. There will be additional layers of thickened epoxy used to completely fill the seams.

One thing Joseph found was that he probably should not have beveled the triangular piece that sits right behind the cockpit as much. The extra space created by the bevel meant that the central deck pieces were not long enough to sit snugly against the deck side panels where the four panels meet in the stern while also fitting snugly against the triangular piece. The gaps are not particularly noticable, but it might be something to watch for if we build another.

Joseph used some tacks to keep the central panels flush with the side panel of the deck:

Read Full Post »

I feel like this justifies a mid-week update. Almost all of the deck of the Pygmy Coho is now stitched together. Could it be epoxied together by the end of the weekend? We’ll just have to wait and see.

Read Full Post »

Progress continued on both of the boats under way in the garage over last week and during the weekend. We now have two coats of paint on the interior of Emily’s boat, with one left to go. All we have left to do on that boat after the last interior coat is to paint the trim. Joseph now has all the deck pieces glued lengthwise and he assembled the deck with tape to lay out the wire stitch holes. Its fun to start seeing more of what the final boat will look like.

Here are some pictures from the weekend. As many of you will agree, boat building should be a fun process:

But sometimes you really have to concentrate:


Here is Joseph laying out the position of stitch holes:

Here is a better view of his boat as it looks at the moment:

Read Full Post »

Progress continues on both the 6 hour canoe and the Pygmy Coho.

Last week we got the last two coats of paint on the outside of the hull. On Thursday I took the time to make the seat frame. I decided it would probably be best to take over this step because Emily is a little frightened of my table saw (admittedly, it is a bit of a beast), and I wanted the pieced to be joined with blind mortise and tenon. On Saturday we got to work, and after a bit of last minute sealing we applied two coats of white primer to the seat frame and the interior of the boat. It looks jaunty. After a few days to fully cure, we will be able to paint it.

Over the past two weeks Joseph has sanded most of the exterior of the coho smooth again after the completion of the fill coats. He got to the point where he was ready to glue up the deck panels, and asked if he could put his hull on top of Emily’s boat while he glued them. I said no, but he could suspend his hull several feet above his work surface with some two by fours and webbing. That is what he has done, and it is at once functional and a bit humorous. Over the weekend he got the first few deck panels glued up and he will be gluing the others up soon.

Read Full Post »

New years goals, here we come. Progress was made on both the Coho and the six hour canoe over the weekend.

On the Six hour canoe, we attached the keel with screws and silicone sealant to the bottom of the boat, and it looks great. Here is Emily drilling holes in the bottom of her boat.

Emily smoothed the fillet of sealant with a finger while wearing gloves, as per Joseph’s recommendation and it looks great.

Joseph applied the last of the epoxy fill coats last week and began sanding the epoxy smooth. We also had the chance to flip it over and see the kayak right side up for the first time.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »